Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Pongal Resolutions

Yes folks. I have decided to given in to your pressure. This blog is back.

After all didnt somebody say that "Starting a blog is easy, keeping it updated is the challenge". I do realize what he meant.

Usually I dont make any New Year resolutions. But this time I have one - to keep this site updated. Jan 18, is too late for New Year resolutions. May be we should call it as Pongal resolution.

Speaking of Pongal, here is a mini intro for my colleagues. It is a festival spread over three days - Jan 14-16.

Jan 14 - Farmers thank God for the past yield and pray for the next harvest. As can be expected offerings and prayers are done. But more importantly couple of dishes called 'Pongal' (yeah same name as that of the festival) is prepared. First dish is called "Chakkarai Pongal" which literally means Sugar Pongal. It lives up to its reputation as really sweet. But I prefer the second dish called "Ven Pongal". Ven is white. It is a bit bland dish and it contrasts well with Chakkarai Pongal. Come on guys, dont ask me why I didnt distribute it in office. It is a dish which is meant to be eaten when its hot.

Jan 15 - Today is Mattu Pongal (Cow's Pongal). Cow is an integral part of any farmer in South India. Its a day in which Cows are treated royally. They can get away with anything. In E-City where I live, I saw a cow which reached into a petty shop and ate the banana which was hung there. Normally this would have resulted in sound thrashing but on this occasion, it just recieved a gentle pat on the back. In villages there is an event called "JalliKattu" where young men show their mettle by subduing fiery bulls. This is similar to the Mexican bull fight but the tradition in South India predate them by several centuries.

Jan 16 - It is Kannum Pongal. It literally means "Deknekha pongal" in Hindi. On this day majority of the people go on outings or visit their friends and relatives. This is the worst day to get stuck in public place like Park or Beach.

I wanted to keep it short but couldnt help it. Sorry it was a bit too long.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home