Sunday, January 23, 2005

Madras

Well here it is - Another attempt to photo-blog the Golden age of Madras. Last time, I had connection timeouts. Lets hope I am luckier this time. [ Update: Yeah I u can read this it means that I was lucky. ]

Here is the good old Central Railway station - the gateway to South India. Look at those beautiful river and ferry system. Though they are in disuse, we are trying to get it back soon. I have been working with Sivaraman regarding inland navigation system. Things were shaping up well when I was called up to handle the Nuclear Power Plant construction at Kaiga and Sivaraman is freaking out in Ahmedabad under the cover of Masters in Environmental Architecture or something one those lines. Still the proposal and project plans are still valid. If you know anybody who can either invest money or influence decision making, then get in touch with us. Together we can change the face of Chennai.



Here is the beach road. I never knew that it had so many trees. Is that the campus of University of Madras?



Here is the good old Marina beach. Though not as great as Elliots for hanging out, still it is one of the most popular beaches in India. This is the same beach which was hit by Tsunami nearly a month back.



Parrys Corner - This is also pretty close to Central Railway station. For majority of us, it is the northern limit of Chennai. Notice the ships at the dock.



Napier's bridge is the one in which Tamil version of Yuva was shot by Maniratnam. Eventhough I believe the current one is a renovated or rebuilt version. Look at the line of bullock carts - a sight to behold. Also notice the river joining the bay of bengal.



The pious Mylapore region. It has one of the most famous and biggest temple in Chennai. I join my parents in visiting this atleast during important occasions like birthdays or anniversaries. I never knew that there was so much free space dotted with coconut trees surrounding the Temple Tank. Currently majority of the space is taken up by Jewelery shop.



The longest and most famour road in Chennai - Mount Road. The place to hangout, if you dont prefer East Coast Road and partying stuff. First thing which strikes is the abudance of good theatres. Devi complex may not be posh, but the college students atmosphere is omnipresent. Satyam - multiplex which is 5 min walk away is perhaps one of the best in India. Atleast much better than Forum, Innovative, Rex and everyother theatre which Bangalore can throw at it. After all where do you get such posh theatre (really comfortable) with great ambience in the heart of the city at 60bucks and more importantly showcasing movies of all languages as and when they are released.

Apart from that there is the British Council library where I used to hang around atleast thrice a week. But who can forget the Chit-Chat restaurant at Teynampet or the magnificient Spencer Plaza. For starters it is India's largets shopping mall and several times bigger than Bangalore Forum. I hate to admit it but till date I still get lost within the mall. Several Pentagons linked together isnt easy to remember. I think spencer deserves a separate blog. But before I wind up, let me add my mothers office is also in this road. So I had to keep my eyes open......



I have few more which you can check for yourself.
Pycrofts Road
Moubrays Road
Esplanade Road

Let me thank the sponsor www.photobucket.com for hosting the images of this blog.

Update: Sorry I forgot to add that these images were forwarded by my college senior last week to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home