Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Glass of Water

That is all, it took to ruin the seal in my passport. At that time, I thought well here goes some few thousand rupees down the drain. Little did I anticipate the troubles to follow.

I had filed for duplicate passport on Dec 13, 2004 at Bangalore Regional Passport Office(RPO). On Dec 17 they claim to have dispatched it to S.P - Bangalore. After several visits in vain to my local police station, I went to SP office in Feb 2005. They said that as per their records, they never received it. When it is dispatched via speed post, I cant fathom as to how they can lose it. Anyway mistakes do happen, so I filled up another Personal Verification Form at the enquiry counter at RPO. After a week, the second copy too didnt reach the SP office. When I went to enquiry counter on Feb 22, the guy said that usually it is dispatched to SP office on the same day. When I asked him to check and confirm the exact date in which he sent the duplicate form to police, he defended himself "We process several thousands of applications per day and it takes time". He asked me to file a duplicate for the third time. At this stage, I lost my temper.[ U guys might vouch for me, that I hardly lose my temper ]. If these guys cant dispatch a single form via speed post to SP office within two months, what are for are they over there? What amazes me is that he is asking me to keep filing duplicate forms instead of following up the original.

Finally I managed to get hold of the dispatch clerk. In front of the police, he demanded Rs.200 if the form is ever to leave the RPO. When I turned to the SP police personel, he said "What you are paying is separate from what you are supposed to pay me". That literally shook me. I know there are corrupt persons but these corrupt policemen encourage these petty criminals like dispatch clerk to openly demand for money. Finally I paid the dispatch clerk Rs.200 and left.

To my surprise the very same day in the evening, the clerk called to inform that my forms will reach SP office tomorrow. Now if the forms were present why did the enquiry personel ask me to file a duplicate? The next day (23-Feb) I got a call from the SP police personel in the afternoon. He said that the form has arrived and asked me to collect it by 5:30pm. Unfortunately I had a client presentation due to which I couldnt make it. Lo and behold, he calls up at 6:30pm and he is advising me to collect it on the same day. [He recieves the bribe only when he gives the form to me].

Did I add, the passport website http://kar.nic.in/passport updates the status only once in a while. For my application, it says "File under processing". Heaven knows as to what that means. It has remained in that state since the day I submitted my form. When I enquired at RPO, they said that the status is "Expedite Police Verification". So much for their e-system. BTW you should have seen the homepage of Bangalore Passport site. I think a tenth std school kid, would design a better site than these "computer proffessionals". Wonder what is their qualification and how much they are being paid!!!!

I have already taken two half days off to follow up at SP and RPO. I have got some understanding boses who are giving me permission to take half day off. But I shouldnt push things beyond a limit.

I am going to SP office on 24 Feb Morning session and then to local police station for verification. Lets see, what is the current bribe rates :-(

All these troubles originated from a glass of water!!!!!!!

Update:
I collected the verification form from SP office after paying him 100 bucks. If only looks could kill, I didnt stare at him though. Eventhough he isnt supposed to dispatch it directly, he gladly handed it over to me. I took it to the local police station for verification. First day I was sent back to bring two of my colleagues for verification. Next day when I did bring the colleagues, he took the witness verbatium and their signatures. He demanded that I pay him Rs.300 and in advance. (Nope he wont take it while handing over the signed verification forms either) Eventhough I did pay the amount, it took 9 days to get it signed by SI who is either in my company campus for visitor security or on election duty. Finally I took the signed forms to the SP office who again after 100 bucks (filed under travel cost to RPO)closed it. After few more weeks, I did recieve the passport on March 28, 2005.

105 days to get a duplicate passport :-(

Eventhough initially I resisted all shortcuts and bribes, I had to give in. I had taken so many half day permission from office (must have been atleast 10) without considering the saturdays I had spent travelling pillar to post. If I had a less understanding manager - Loss of Pay alone would have boiled down to Rs. 5000 not to mention the travelling cost and the effort involved. Rs.5000 was after I decided to cut down on my losses and call it quits - I simply started paying the bribes. When the police itself openly accepts bribe whom do I complain to? Some commission who doesnt have any power to even suspend anyone (they can only recommend suspension which is most often not heeded to by the seniors)

If only this was during my college days - I would have taken it to the finish. But not as an employee where time is money.....

Do you disagree with me?

1 Comments:

Blogger Baejaar said...

What you dont realize is that, after filing in Dec, having run pillar to post and parted bribe of 750 bucks I have still not recieved my passport. Its been more than three months :-(.

March 23, 2005 3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home