Monday, February 07, 2005

Close call

It was a typical, misty Bangalore winter night. As usual I was returning home late on Feb 5th, when I noticed a lorry idling its engine for nearly five minutes. In all those five minutes - the time it took me to cover that stretch of the road, it hardly covered 2 metres. I crossed the vehicle on the way, wondering as to what it was upto in a service lane. I had hardly walked 10m ahead when I heard a loud crash. The lorry had taken with it, the overhanging roof of nearby shop. Worst thing was that it still hadnt stopped. The engine was still purring with life and 1m in front was a live electricity pole. Well I knew that if that driver, persisted with those antics both he and I am in mortal danger of being electrocuted. And my nightmare (yeah I know - my nightmare is your lovely dream) nearly came true. After 15sec, the vehicle did jerk and hit the pole. Even though the concrete pole bent (by 20 degrees), luckily it with stood the impact. Atlast the driver came back to his senses and stopped the vehicle. Having got down from the vehicle, he approached me. I didnt want to vent my anger (though justifiable) on that guy. To avoid that I immediately pushed off to my home.

Till date the lorry is still there, brushing against the electricity pole. I have no clue what so ever as to why that guy behaved like that. But the bad news is that, the pole is so heavily damaged, it can come down anytime. And as usual our govt bodies take their own sweet time, to replace it.

- Dheepak Ra

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home