Saturday, March 05, 2005

It hurts.......

As soon as my eyes rested on this building, my heart cringed. How can somebody construct a structure like this?

house_under_construction

Initially I feel sorry for the owner of this house. I doubt whether it will last a couple of years. Just notice that the right concrete column is resting on solid ground. The left brick pillar is resting on compound wall!!! You dont need a Phd but atleast some common sense........

I was about to go and advise the owner but then restrained my urge to do so. They deserve this.

If people are ready to insist that only genuine photographers can shoot their wedding snap, can't they realize that it is the same with building construction? Initially they started ditching Civil Engineers and used Diploma holders. Now they are directly using masons for construction of their houses. If a construction costs Rs.5 lakhs (bare minimum) for 3 months, can't they employ a fresh engineer for a salary of Rs.8000 per month? Its just Rs.24k or 5% of your building cost. If you cant afford that atleast opt for an engineering student. He should be able to complete it as summer job for a stipend of Rs.3000 per month. I pray that these people look at Cost-Benefit ratio.

3 Comments:

Blogger reNUka said...

A very splendid and unique thot dheepak!!!

March 08, 2005 5:43 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

And its amazing to see that he is constructing one more floor. Probably that will be rented to some software guy.
An earthquake of 5 and down it comes!!!

March 08, 2005 6:09 AM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

Hi Renuka
Thanks for the comments. What to do, as a Civil Engineer, I couldnt resist cribbing about it.

Hi Neel
I am worried that these guys wont stop at 1 more floor. Here in Electronic city, Bangalore real estate is in great boom. 90% of constructions are illegal expansion to get quick returns.

Trust me you dont need an earthquake to bring this structure down. This floor will fail on its own. Initially they will notice some cracks due to differential settlement and it will progresively worsen. Infact I will call them as lucky if it lasts for two years.

March 08, 2005 6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home