Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Movie Reviews

Its been four days since I watched three movies. Till date I couldnt decide as to which is better. None of them was exceptional but all of them were good.

Page 3:
A welcome change from the run of the mill hindi movies. The songs failed to live up to my expectations but the movie did. To me, all the characters are new but they acted really well. I doubt whether any hindi movie this year can stand up to this except Black (Yet to see it). If you havent watched it do so now.

Aviator:
This is a true story about a millionare (though inherited) who follows his instincts and passions. Set in the 1930s, its about how he makes an epic movie on aerial warfare and his business dealings in the Airline industry. In between it is peppered with his love affairs. Eventhough there are some portion where the movie sags, all in all it is a very good movie. Particularly the scene where he defends himself during the commission's hearing is beautifully protrayed.

Leonardo de caprio - The first thing that strikes my mind is Titanic. I had assumed that he is a good looking chap who can't act. But this movie banished all those myths. Though he missed out on the Oscar (he was nominated for it), he deserves credit.

And thank the director too for this wonderful movie which won the most oscar 2005 nomination.

Coach Carter:
Its about how a basket ball coach transforms a losing, indisciplined school team into the one which storms into the finals of the championship.

This is yet to be released in India but my friend who is in US, recommended this to me. I couldnt resist my temptation to watch it in VCD. Though I am waiting for the Indian release to watch it again.

And one thing is for sure, you wont repent watching any of these three movies.

4 Comments:

Blogger me said...

i watched black. fantastic performances from the little girl, amitabh and rani ! But u need a little patience and understanding in the beginning. The movie picks up well in the second half. And it is an emotionally charging movie, so you ought to avoid it if you are one of those people who likes to watch only movies that make u laugh. Black makes u laugh as well here and there - but it is that sarcastic kindof humour. Do watch it ! It is just a 1 1/2 hr movie and the cinematography by Ravi. K.Chandran is superb. I like it very much. The teacher's passion for making his dear student learn is so moving...

March 10, 2005 1:44 AM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

Thanks for the review. Yep Black is there in my must watch list. I am planning to watch it this weekend unless any unexpected assignment crops up. I love movies which are either hilarious or too sentimental. I love movies like Anjali which forces you to shed a drop of tear. Its the regular ones which are neither here nor there which frustrates me.

- Dheepak Ra

March 10, 2005 1:55 AM  
Blogger Cne Rocks>> said...

I also watched BLACK.But found it too artificial....The aristocratic settings,the focussed lighting,the grandeous sets.The typical Bansali effect.
But then, i watched My Brother Nikhil.And it was like a breath of fresh air.Its also a very poignant story, but the handling was excellent.The director has taken a sensitive subject and portrayed it so maturely that u can't help admiring his work!! The story is abt Nikhil-the perfect guy.He's an award winning swimmer,his family loves him and has a great friends circle.But then, he comes to know that he is a homosexual and has AIDS and the film shows how his almost perfect life disintegrates and he is ostracized.
Very very moving.
Watch it!!
-Cne

April 24, 2005 10:21 PM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

Guess I recieved your comment a trifle late. Infact only last week that I watched Black. I agree completely with you. I enjoyed more reading the biography of helen keller. My personal opinion is that like Lagaan this movie too was hyped a bit. Still nice to see bold movies without songs...

Will try to watch "My Brother Nikhil" when I get some time.

April 24, 2005 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home